Monday, October 25, 2010

Surprising Covers: Sing Sing Sing

Wanna listen to what I'm talking about?  Press play!

Neither song is new but today I discovered that Chicago covered a Benny Goodman classic.  This was only after listening to Sing, Sing, Sing in all it's jazzy goodness and to hear a M&M (that is a code name for one of my humanoids sisters) ask, "Where are the lyrics?".

Frankly, I was flabbergasted.  Even I, a mutant ant, knew it was a jazz standard but I never heard any lyrics.  After looking it up I was surprised to find that Sing, Sing, Sing by Benny Goodman was a cover of another and not the first.  I found it was originally called Sing, Bing, Sing and recorded in 1936 by Louis Prima & his band by somewhat trusty Wikipedia.

M&M pulled out her iPod and played Chicago's version which looks like it is from their 1995 album Night & Day:  Big Band.  It was catchy.

Of course, now anytime I hear Sing, Sing, Sing I can't help but think of a rather silly boy playing in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment